Way back near the start of the BSP, I got cooking on the “Collecting Hobbies” badge and decided that my collection of choice would be the magical, magnificent Chia Pet. Early readers got a full history of the Chia pet, as well as the ground rules I was setting for my collecting habit, based, of course, on the wisdom of the scout handbook…
BADGE WORK UPDATE: COLLECTING HOBBIES
I can now report that I believe my collection is complete (at least for the foreseeable future). I searched Craigslist, Freecycle, and stores regularly, but the truth is I never found any Chia Pets — new or used — anywhere but on eBay.
I’d set a budget for each Chia Pet, spending no more than $15 on each, including tax, shipping and handling. This, it turns out, made life just a bit tougher, since new products all retail for over $15. But eBay is the Land of the Bargain — and those last-second bidding wars sure can get the adrenalin going. If I hadn’t set a limit to the collection of between 8-10 “pets,” things might have gotten out of hand…
But here’s my inventory, along with price paid, in order of acquisition:
- Statue of Liberty (new): $7.49 winning bid, plus $7.02 shipping = $14.51 ($0.49 under budget)
- Spongebob Squarepants (new): $2.24 winning bid, plus $8 shipping = $10.24 ($4.76 under budget)
- Rabbit (used): $3.99 winning bid, plus $7.02 shipping = $11.01 ($3.99 under budget)
- Shrek (new): 1.99 winning bid, plus $7.90 shipping = $9.89 ($5.11 under budget)
- Elephant (new) $3.99 winning bid, plus $5.00 shipping = $8.99 ($6.01 under budget)
- Bart Simpson (new) $4.99 winning bid, plus $9.00 shipping = $13.99 ($1.01 under budget)
- George Washington (new) $9.99 winning bid, plus $6.75 shipping = $16.74 ($1.74 over budget)
- Obama (the “Determined” pose, new) $10.00 winning bid, plus $8.50 shipping = $18.50 ($3.50 over budget)
Now, I really, really wanted the George Washington and Obama Chia Pets, and after months of shopping, it was clear that I’d have a real problem getting them in under budget. But because I’d been under budget by $21.37 with my first seven purchases, I gave myself permission to go a little over budget for my simple wish list. After all, what better way to prove my love of country than a couple of presidential vessels for growing seeds high in Omega 3?
Readers of the BSP know that I also tried my hand at making a Chia Pet — a little visualization of our dog Freida — so that was no extra cost.
And now, I invite you to enjoy this little video of my collection as it grows…
Want more Chia goodness? Check out the original Chia pet commercial and the Obama Chia commercial!
If you like my video tutorials, please subscribe to my YouTube channel. Thanks!